The Young Women's Support Network
If you feel you could benefit from any of the support offered by the YWSN contact either of our helplines and speak to one of our volunteer support workers
Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre Helpline: 01208 77099
Women's Domestic Violence Support Network Helpline: 01208 79992
For professional referral please ring 01208 76466
To get a taste of work we have done previously with young women watch the following film called Proud: -
This film accompanied the production of an amazing book called 'They Underestimated Us' which was produced by young women aged 16-25 years who were part of the Young Women's Support Network in a project funded by Comic Relief, Our Money Your Dream and Awards For All. The young women worked with professional artists over a year to develop the art works and words which then became the inspiration for: -
Young Empowered Women
Young Empowered Women (YEW) is a project run by the Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, Cornwall (WRSAC) for girls and young women between the ages of 12-18 years who have experienced or are at risk of experiencing any form of sexual violence or domestic abuse. It is funded by Children in Need.
The aims of the project are to:-
- Reduce the effects of sexual violence and/or domestic abuse you have experienced
- Reduce your isolation by meeting other girls/young women who share similar experiences
- Helping you to understand the short and long term impacts that sexual and/or domestic abuse/violence may have had on you
- Increasing your safety through individual safety planning and prevention
- Provide you with new skills, knowledge and experiences through creative workshops and support sessions, which will reduce levels of self blame, increase your confidence and self esteem.
We will make sure that the sessions will allow you to:-
- Feel secure and safe
- Deal with the emotions that come with realising the extent of your abuse
The project will offer a range of closed group support sessions with a maximum of 12 girls/young women in each group. The material covered will be based around your specific needs as well as those identified by the other girls/young women in your group.
Excitingly, you will also be able to access an ongoing programme of art/creative workshops where you will have an opportunity to work with professional female artists in a range of different art forms, learning new skills and techniques. Additionally, you will be able to access other sessions where you will have the opportunity to develop your own work independently and work towards an end of year goal for example an exhibition, website, book, performance. The choice will be yours as a group.
In this, the second year of the project groups are being held in Newquay and third year will take place in Bude.